Sunday, January 17, 2010

Time is on our side...


It's that time of year again in corporate America when the HR cheerleaders convince the managers that everyone needs a 5-year plan. This has become a tremendous source of discussion between me and at least one other hale and hearty friend, blogger and member of the corporate grind. She lists on her blogs some excellent issues with that elusive five-year plan. For me I want to look at just one aspect...retirement. Yup, that would be my personal five year plan but how would that sound in a goal setting meeting?

Mgr: So, I hope you've considered where you'd like to be in 5 years?
Me: Yes I HAVE! In 5 years I'd like to be lingering over a second cup of coffee while enjoying an ambush makeover on the Today Show, then I'd like to take the dogs to the park for a brisk hike then back home for an early lunch with hubby then maybe an afternoon nap (why not) and then perhaps take in some live music a few evenings of the week. Thanks for asking.
Mgr: Ummm, yeah.

See it doesn't play out and I think one of the reasons for that is because we have placed a very high value on advancing up the corporate ladder in the US but have not considered the aging babyboomer population (of which I am riding the tail end of) and the options they would like to have. I think a lot of us would almost like to "reverse mortgage" our careers. We work and work to attain some level of recognition and success but then get to a point when that loses it's luster but we still have a lot to offer the corporate world.

I think the bottom line is that despite all the great buzz about how worker-friendly corporate America is, well, it isn't. The culure doesn't truly encourage honesty despite all the talk that it does.

I just wanted to get this out there to slip and slide on those ever dangerous wet roads of life, there will be more later...there always is, isn't there?

Hey, and join me here on the wet roads, fasten your seatbelt, secure your beverage in the cup holder and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment