Sunday, February 5, 2012

Townie

I'm watching the endless Stupor Bowl coverage, why not right? (Of course the question pops into my head, what will we watch when THIS is over…but we'll find THAT out tomorrow.) Obviously it's in Indianapolis. I've never been there. Everyone they interview is saying what a great city Indy is and what great hosts they are. They're showing people enjoying shopping, eating and drinking in what looks like a downtown area. It made me think about what it would be like if the game were being played at Giants' Stadium. Giants' Stadium is in E. Rutherford, NJ. It's in a fairly industrial area situated in the armpit of several major highways. There's no downtown, there's no quaint village feel (and on the outside chance that someone from that area reads this and wants to dispute this claim…try all you'd like, I grew up there, there may be the occasional Main St. but that's not within shouting distance of the 50 yard line.)

I've talked a lot lately with a friend about "major" cities and how you grow up with an idea of what makes a "major" city. My mom was from the Bronx, it's part of NYC, we didn't live in NY but we were a quick bus ride away so that became my definition of a "major" city. From that position it was also easy to visit Boston, Philly and DC so those were my back-up images of "major" cities.

When most people think of NEW YORK CITY they think of Manhattan, one borough out of five and other than Madison Square Garden there are no major sports venues in Manhattan. Imagine that.

The Mets play in Queens, Yankees in the Bronx, and the Giants and the Jets share the stadium in E. Rutherford…NEW JERSEY. That's right no New York football team actually plays football in New York city…not even in a borough.

So if "New York" were to host a Super Bowl where the HELL would that awesome downtown be? No one can just wander up to the stadium in E. Rutherford, you can only get there via a highway, you won't be sitting in its shadow as the game is on enjoying a downhome feel.

Hell, your best bet for local color might be at the Tick-Tock Diner on Rte 3 in Clifton.

It makes me wanna go see Indy and find out what all the hoopla is about. Now that I think about it, DesMoines is supposed to be rather cute as well. Hmmm, sign me up to go and listen to the Heartbeat of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment