Sunday, February 12, 2012

Hippity Hop

I'm a hypocrite. I realized it today at the grocery store. It's clearly based on my prejudice against the winter months, or more accurately the end of summer.

The harsh reality of this hit me today when I happily embraced the sight of Easter candy on the store shelves despite the fact that Easter remains pretty far off in the future. It wasn't all that long ago that I was bitching at the audacity of this very same grocery store putting out Halloween candy before Labor Day. The HORROR, how DARE they.

My complaints included wondering who the hell was buying mini Miky Way bars MONTHS before there'd be a need to drop them into the open sacks of trick-or-treaters. That very same complaint about Easter never even glanced off my brain matter today. Nope, instead I got all giddy at the sight of Easter peeps and hollow chocolate bunnies.

I confess. It's me. I'm prejudiced against anything that signals the end of summer and I'm giddy at the thought that once again were about to faced down another summer season.

Despite the fact that I seem all excited at the onset of C'mas with the lights and the bad movies I realize it's all I've got to cling to as the winter looms large in my future. Damn. I thought I'd conquered that demon and I guess in some small way I HAVE conquered it with holiday lights and those awful movies and holiday specials.

But now I know the truth. I'm just waiting for the first hint of spring on the horizon. Those hollow chocolate bunnies make my heart soar while those mini Milky Ways in August sink my spirits all the way down to my sagging ankles.

Those aisles of bunnies makes me wonder how long before I'll spy my first hint of summer, that first display of grill tools can't be far behind the chocolate bunnies can they?

No comments:

Post a Comment