Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Wish I May, I Wish I Might...


This post was originally written and posted by me on January 9, 2010 on Higgy Piggy's blog and is being moved to it's appropriate home.

----------------------------------------

Corporate goal setting is such an amusing past time. Here's a favorite story about it...

It was approximately 5 years ago. I was at a mandatory training for the new corporate goal setting software. I was seated in the back row next to a buddy of mine from another department. He's a great guy. Older gentleman, funny, respectful, devoted husband, dad and grandpa.

The HR cheerleader was explaining how we would be developing a path to follow for the next 5 years and beyond. Where did we want to be in 5 years? How did we plan to get there?

My buddy leaned over and said to me...I know EXACTLY where I want to be in 5 years...retired, gardening with the wife, reading by the fire, playing with the grandkids (then sending them home). We shared a chuckle. The HR cheerleader did NOT find us amusing.

My buddy wondered how anyone could believe that the path one strikes out on would follow a straight and defined course over 5 years...or even 5 MONTHS? I agreed. Life has too many bends in the road to think that we can land exactly where we planned to land in 5 years time.

Fast forward to yesterday, just about 5 years later...my buddy had his retirement party at work. I'm impressed, he actually stayed the course for his 5 year goal planning. HR should be thrilled!

Live your joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment