Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Yes Brunella, there IS a tee-shirt and Razoo Kelley


This was originally posted by me on Higgy Piggy's blog on 12/26/2009.

------------------------------------


More than 3 decades have passed since I first heard the words “me and Razoo Kelley” followed by the Buddy Holly song “Rave On” coming from my radio. They just showed up one Sunday morning and then kept re-appearing for most of the next two or three years.

This New York radio guy who was really from NJ brought them into my radio every Sunday morning. He started receiving letters from them and then read those letters to us, his devoted listeners. Now this NY radio guy from NJ did a lot more than read to us, he played music for us too and he talked to us about music and books. Matter of fact, this NY radio guy from NJ somehow managed to provide me with the best education a Jersey Girl could ever hope for.

So who were “me and Razoo Kelley”? Well I don’t know. They came to be re-named “tee-shirt and Razoo Kelley” only because “me” was always pictured in a tee-shirt and, well, someone else can’t talk about someone as “me” without causing some level of confusion to set in on an unsuspecting listener.

NY radio guy from NJ was accused of being tee-shirt and Razoo but he denied it and we had to believe him because he was the same guy that taught us about this other dude from NJ singing about showing “a little faith there’s magic in the night” so how could we doubt him?

Many attempts were made to unmask the elusive duo with no success. I understand there is one person who has met with them and knows their identity…but she ain’t talkin’. She did obtain permission to issue their missives in a compilation commonly known in the 1980s as a BOOK (the kind with paper pages and all that) which I quickly added to my collection because, ya know, I considered it a textbook in my quest for greater truth (and all that).

Tee-shirt and Razoo were always askin’ NY radio guy from NJ to send them some Brucie autographed albums (Brucie being that OTHER guy from NJ) but they never seemed to receive them, but not for lack of trying.

Flash forward to Christmas 2009 (or “The Humanistic Pagan Celebration of Festivus 2009”) and the ritual exchange of gifts between me and the man I call “hon” known legally as my husband. There, at the top of the bag o’ goodies was a shiny new copy of the “The Letters of Me and Razoo Kelley” and inside the cover was a handwritten inscription to me from the NY radio guy from NJ and I knew in my heart that “Yes, Brunella, there IS a tee-shirt and Razoo Kelley”. Somewhere out there in the big world they were still waiting for their Brucie autographed albums to arrive and I held in my hot little hand my autographed book and a little faith this holiday morning.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Brunella,

    Me and Razoo Kelley is STILL waiting on Brucie's autographed record, but since their ain't no records no more, weed settle for a CD.

    Patient Forever,

    me and Razoo Kelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have the book of hilarious tales of T-Shirt and Razoo Kelly letters. Could someone tell me where I could get one?

    Mark from NJ

    ReplyDelete