Monday, January 2, 2012

Deconstructing C’mas

By 8AM on January 1st I had all the C’mas decorations taken down except for the little 3-foot tall tree on the living room credenza! Pretty good, right? I had the (fake) evergreen roping, white twinkly lights and sparkly gold star garland taken down from the stair bannister. The 4-foot tall C’mas stocking was down from the end of the stairs and neatly folder. Every single decorated window was undecorated. The little snowflake thingy around the dining room chandelier was gone. The C’mas cards were folded and laid aside.
It was AWESOME.
Here’s the thing. I LOVE C’mas decorations. LOVE THEM but when I’m done with them I. AM. DONE.

When I put them up I thought everything was all sparkly and pretty and now that they’re down I can’t believe how much space they took up (really, they didn’t but whatever).

Once I cleared away the side effects of C’mas I decided to catch an extra hour or two of sleep (I really kinda hate doing that because I always have weird dreams but that’s something else altogether). In the meantime hubby got up and started his day.

When I went downstairs hubby was fighting with his new iPad2 (trying to download the user manual) as I proudly asked, “so, whaddya think?” while making an expansive hand motion around the house to indicate my early-morning hardwork. Did he notice? Nope. I pointed out that I took down all the decorations, that the stair bannister was no longer a landmine of lights and prickly garland and there was no longer a giant C’mas stocking to trip over at the foot of the stairs. The windows were freely letting in the bright daylight unhindered by little dollar store snowflakes. “Huh, are ya gonna vacuum today?”

Oh well, I probably should vacuum today, too.

Ahh but no vacuuming, that thought was replaced by cleaning out BOTH fridges and the liquor cabinet! Yeehaaaaaa!!!!

Buh-bye outdated ranch dressing and curry sauce, out-with-the-trash rum that’s been lingering for 6+ years and cherry pucker that’s been there for who-knows-how-long (who bought this and WHY?)

Once hubby was off to work down came the little 3-ft tree and all the trimmings and up everything went back into the wasteland known as our attic.

Yup, vacuuming took a backseat to a true New Year’s purge and how I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment