Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oh C’mas Tree

Okay, you get it, I do have a deep and abiding affection for the whole C'mas experience (minus the religious part, don't get me started); the lights, the music, the overall decorations, the festiveness, yup I LOVE IT (oh yeah, and don't forget those awesome holiday movies…"Holiday in Handcuffs"!). But part of the reason I CAN love it is the limited nature of the whole experience. It starts (earlier every year), it HAPPENS…and it goes away.

Well, it goes away for MOST of us…

There are at least two homes in my neighborhood that are still fully decked out for C'mas. As of this coming Sunday it will be 5 weeks since December 25th. The weather has been unseasonably warm and even mostly dry, plenty of time to de-construct C'mas inside and out but these two homes, two families, not them, they're hangin' onto those twinkly lights and bouncy blow-up snowglobes for all it's worth.

One home has a beautifully decorated (fake) tree. The first time I noticed it was probably within a week after T'giving, it was perfect, the garland was draped just right, there were lovely white lights and perfectly spaced glass globes. I swooned. But now we're about two months past that moment of love at first sight and frankly, I'm a bit bored by the symmetrical garland and the twinkly white lights. I want to see a blank window again. I want to see simple white sheers and lovely drapes. I want to gaze in and see their sofas and coffee table. Mr. and Mrs. Middle America…TAKE DOWN THAT TREE (please).

Look the whole reason to love something as divisive as CHRISTMAS is because it STOPS being C'mas and these people will NOT let it stop. Look we're almost up to that awesome American holiday…Super Bowl Sunday…then we'll be immersed in Valentine's Day (ugh, and I'm actually IN a loving relationship and I say…UGH).

I implore you folks, respect the time constraints of C'mas, take it down by January 6th, tuck it all away and don't re-visit it again until the Friday after T'giving when you trudge reluctantly into the attic in your jammies while your family slumbers in a turkey day stupor around you.

Really, you'll be surprised how much more ROOM you have when that tree is tucked away in the giant tree bag you snagged on sale from Bed, Bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment