Sunday, January 15, 2012

Have we met?

I've been with my husband for more than 10 years. We haven't been married for 10 years but we've been together for that long and shared a home for most of that time. But how much do we really know about each other?

We're both pretty private people about personal habits and it occurs to me that I don't know a lot about certain things he does and vice versa. It's not big things so much (I don't think so anyway) it's little dopey things that I can't even picture, it's actually a weird little fantasy world I have of my husband.

I just went into the upstairs bathroom; he'd just taken a shower. We have a little space heater in the bathroom because I like to get out of the shower into a VERY WARM ROOM. I never gave it any thought as to whether or not he even noticed there was a heater in the room but then I went to move it and realized it was warm to the touch. Hmmm, does he do the same thing as I do? Does he make the bathroom toasty warm so that he steps out of the steamy embrace of a shower into the warm air of an overheated bathroom? Maybe so.

What about that nose hair trimmer in the medicine chest? I'm pretty sure he uses it but I've never actually seen it in-use.

There was a mega-millions lottery ticket on the desk last week. I asked him if he was in the habit of buying mega-millions tix and he said that it was an impulse purchase at the liquor store but I just couldn't conjure up an image of my husband as a lottery ticket purchaser. Weird, right? I mean lots of people buy lottery tix every damn day, I do it sometimes and I'll bet he can't picture me doing that. Hmmm.

There's just these odd little habits that I know I have that he doesn't know I have and that's both cool and weird. On the other hand maybe he knows about some of them but I don't know he knows. I love to wear socks to bed and then take them off as soon as I'm warm enough and run my feet over the cold sheets. Does he know that? I don't really know.

There are just so many things that I know he does but I don't really KNOW and even more than that…I CAN'T PICTURE him doing.

I can't even decide if I'm curious about these things. Some of them are really personal things. We're not those people that just walk in on the other when they're in the bathroom. We don't do it. Hell, we're not even Facebook friends even though we have a ton of "friends" in common (a bit weird, right?). I don't know his shower habits (nor he mine).

I have an ex-husband ( I have more than one) who had no personal boundaries. He thought nothing of helping his sisters with their math homework while sitting on the bowl taking a dump. YUK! I don't really need that much info about my partner. I don't WANT that much info and dude, BOUNDARIES! WTF?

But I'm a tad fascinated by what I don't know about my current (and hopefully FINAL) husband. I love the man, truly I do. He's handsome (he is, he's damn good looking for a man of his age or even 10 years younger) and he's pretty sweet and kind and he tolerates the hideous dogs which I insist on rescuing but what is his secret life? The problem is that I don't really want to know. I WANT him to have those little things because I want to keep MINE. I do.

It's everything from our dog-feeding style to what we do behind that closed bathroom door. I swear that he sweeps back the shower curtain like he's making his broadway debut; this assessment is based on the number of shower curtain loops are tangled after his shower.

Don't you wonder what you don't know about your spouse? Not the big things but the little things? How they clip their toenails or whether they pick their nose as though they were digging for gold?

I don't want to know them all because I don't want him to know them all about me, I just don't. It's nice to have a few things that are mine in a relationship. No true deep, dark secrets or anything, somehow those are easier to divulge, nope it's more like how often I shave my armpits or how far up my legs I shave (no, I'm not TELLING YOU either).

Oh people, so fascinating even when they kinda belong to us…

No comments:

Post a Comment